ZenIRCBot is a topic I’ve writtenon a few times. Once upon a time it was my primary project outside of work. These days it has mostly become an unmaintained heap of code. I’ve grown significantly as a developer since I wrote it. It’s time for a revival and a rewrite.
I have a project I started about 7-8 months ago called clean-zenircbot which is a reimplementation of the bot from scratch using a custom IRC library I hope to spin out as a separate project. The goals of the project are things like being able to test the bot itself as well as making it possible for service developers to reasonably test their services. As well as documenting the whole thing to make myself no longer ashamed when I suggest someone write a service for an instance of the bot.
Going along with having written about ZenIRCBot in the past, I’ve also promised 3.0 a few times. So what makes this time different? The primary change is that I’ve started using beeminder (click to see how I’m doing), a habit tracking app with some nice features. My goal will be to fix at least 2 issues a week, or more which grants me a bit of a buffer. This will keep me pushing forward on getting a new version out the door.
I’m not sure how many issues or how long it will take, but constant progress will be made. I currently have two issues open on the repo. First one is to assess the status of the code base. Second is to go through every issue on all of the ZenIRCBot repos and pull in all of them that make sense for the new bot. This includes going through closed issues to remind myself why the old bot had some interesting design decisions.
Below is a graph of this so far. I’m starting with a flat line for the first week to give myself time to build up a buffer and work out a way to fit it into my schedule. Hopefully if you are viewing this in February or March (or even later!) the data will be going up and to the right much like the yellow road I should be staying on.