Apple is releasing iOS 11.3 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch today with the software update expected to be available at the top of the hour. While the update includes the usual bug fixes and performance improvements, iOS 11.3 is also a significant feature update as well.
9to5Mac Happy Hour
Apple firstpreviewed iOS 11.3 at the end of January followed by six developer and public beta versions for testing. iOS 11.3 includes loads of new features including four new Animoji on iPhone X, battery health features in beta on iPhones affected by performance throttling, Business Chat for iMessage in the United States, new Health Records features in Health, and HomeKit software authentication without chip certification.
Prior to iOS 11.3 officially releasing today, Apple released a version for the new 9.7-inch iPad with Apple Pencil support on Wednesday (although the new iPad hasn’t quite reached customers yet). Official release notes for iOS 11.3 have also surfaced ahead of time which you can find below. Note that there is no mention of Messages in iCloud which has been available in each beta version for testing.
iOS 11.3 is currently making its way to customers and should be available at the top of the hour. For a recap of changes that have appeared (and in some cases, disappeared) during beta, read our coverage below.
New in iOS 11.3
- 4 new Animoji on iPhone X: Lion, Skull, Bear, and Dragon
- ARKit 1.5 with support for vertical surfaces like walls, irregular shaped surfaces like circular tables, support for auto-focus, and 50% higher resolution
- Business Chat for iMessage in beta with Discover, Hilton, Lowe’s and Wells Fargo on board
- Health Records in Health app automatically updated from select partners
- More prominent music video features in Apple Music
- HomeKit software authentication without chip certification
- Advanced Mobile Location for sending your location to emergency services when calling from iPhone
- Messages in iCloud
- New privacy page during set up and a new Privacy icon in Settings (gray becomes blue)
- Splash screen for Messages in the Cloud, backup can be disabled in Settings
- iBooks is now just Books
- App Store lists version number and update size on Updates screen
- App Store following text size
- Hello, Feedback app…
- Apple TV shows up in Home app with tvOS 11.3, doesn’t work as hub for automation and remote access without tvOS 11.3 on iOS 11.3, AirPlay 2 also working
- New ‘Confirm with Side Button’ prompt for purchases on iPhone X
- No iOS 11.3 beta 2 for iPod touch yet, Apple says a future beta will add support (possibly related to battery management)
- Battery management settings now visible on certain iPhones ( H/T Chris! )
- The new section is found under Settings → Battery → Battery Health (Beta)
- iOS details maximum battery capacity and peak performance capability
- iPhones affected by performance throttling due to aging batteries should be able to disable throttling at the risk of experiencing unexpected shutdowns
- As discovered by 9to5Mac’sRambo, this text appears on affected batteries: Your battery’s health is significantly degraded. An Apple Authorized Service Provider can replace the battery to restore full performance and capacity.
- Apple links to its battery explainer article for more information
- New splash screen for App Store
- Podcasts app now plays episodes with one tap, hyperlinks episode pages ( H/T Ryan! )
- Messages in iCloud now includes a confirmation dialogue when deleting message threads
- VoLTE support for Vodafone contract customers in the UK ( H/T Tom! )
- iPod touch support returns with iOS 11.3 beta 3
- No more signs of AirPlay 2 for now
- iOS 11.3 beta no longer attempts to pair HomePods in stereo mode
- Deleting Messages now have a finished warning dialogue ( H/T Duy )
- Books no longer Books, reverted to iBooks
- Devices should now be recognized by the host computer after updating a device to iOS 11.3 beta 4 and later.
- iOS 11.3 beta 3 and later support iPod touch (6th generation).
- In beta 2 and later, Health Record accounts and data are properly synced to Health in iCloud. (35431094)
See our hands-on video with the original beta below:
For more on iOS 11.3, check out these stories:
- Apple previews iOS 11.3 with new Animoji, health record integration, Battery status, and more
- What’s new in iOS 11.3? Hands-on with new features and changes [Video]
- How to check battery health and disable battery performance throttling in iOS 11.3 beta
- Hands-on with iOS 11.3 battery health features on a performance throttled iPhone
- iOS 11.3 suggests new Pride face coming to Apple Watch
- New ‘Music Videos’ section appears in Apple Music ahead of iOS 11.3 release