产品设计

今日:43| 主题:15597
收藏本版 (1)
软件产品、PC、移动、网站、平台的开发、策划等内容。

[其他] The Complete Guide to Cross Cultural Design

[复制链接]
哦吼啦~] 发表于 昨天 07:11
100 4

立即注册CoLaBug.com会员,免费获得投稿人的专业资料,享用更多功能,玩转个人品牌!

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
The digitaldesign profession has always been international, yet there are still difficulties in overlapping cultural spheres. The global market presents new challenges for designers to address language barriers and ethnic nuances.
  How might foreign users infer different meanings from presented data or metaphors? What accepted standards might be perceived differently in other markets, such as banner placement or selecting menu items?
  Most designers assume that designing products for foreign markets only requires a language translation, switching currencies, and potentially updating a few fields. However, cross-cultural design can be much more complex.

The Complete Guide to Cross Cultural Design-1 (profession,standards,different,presented,designers)

Because I’m from Brazil and most of my clients are in the U.S., I thought I’d already be good at this. However, a Russian client approached me recently, and I quickly realized I had taken cross-cultural design for granted. Not only was I designing a product for a specific cultural condition that I didn’t quite understand, but I also found the cultural divide between the client and I to be a significant barrier to my workflow.
  The 3 dimensions of cultural design sensitivity

Designing for global markets predates digital industry. Cross-cultural design research is rooted in the work of two individuals: Fons Trompenaars and Geert Hofstede .
   Trompenaars is widely known for “ The Seven Dimensions of Culture, ” a model he published in “ Riding the Waves of Culture .” The model is the result of interviews with more than 46,000 managers in 40 countries.
  Rather than distinguishing cultures simply by language, Trompenaar established these seven differentiating qualities.

• Universalism versus particularism: Do people place value on rules, laws, and dogma? Or do they believe the world to be circumstantial?   
  • Individualism versus communitarianism: Do people believe in personal freedom and achievement? Or is the group greater than the individual?   
  • Specific versus Diffuse: Are work and personal lives kept separate or do they overlap?   
  • Neutral versus emotional: Do people make great efforts to express their emotions or are they kept in control?   
  • Achievement versus ascription: Are people valued for what they do or who they are?   
  • Sequential time versus synchronous time: Some people like events to happen in a striated sequence. Others believe that the past present and future are an interwoven continuum   
  • Internal Direction Versus Outer Direction: Some cultures profess to control nature and the environment, while others believe the opposite.  
  Hofstede also contests conventionally narrow views of language and culture.
  Everyone knows that our spoken accents develop based on where we grew up. Less spoken about, though, is that how we feel and act is also a type of accent influenced by our locale.
  Because Hofstede’s research was entirely conducted by IBM, Hofstede’s research may be more easily translated into market applications.

The Complete Guide to Cross Cultural Design-2 (profession,standards,different,presented,designers)

The cultural dimensions represent cultural tendencies that distinguish countries (rather than individuals) from each other. The country scores on the dimensions are relative, as we are all human and simultaneously we are all unique. In other words, culture can be only used meaningfully by comparison.
  How do users respond to authority?

Hofstede placed every country somewhere on his power distance index (PDI), which measured how societies accept power inequality. Some cultures expect information to come from an authoritative position, whereas others believe less in expertise and certification.
  Thus, the implications of this for digital design are that expressive and authoritative language or imagery may perform well in high power distance locales. Yet, users in low power distance countries might negatively respond to this and prefer to see a relation to more popular imagery, or daily life.
  Do users see themselves as individuals or a part of a group?

How might you motivate a user in an individualistic culture versus a collectivist one?
  Does your product promote individual or collective success?
  How do you reward users?
  Some societies place an importance on youth, whereas wisdom and experience is valued elsewhere.
   Hofstede measures this on the individualism vs. collectivism index (IDV). Countries with high numbers on the index are more individualistic.
  How comfortable are users with uncertainty?

Cultures that rely less on rules and rationality respond to emotional indicators. But a society that is uncomfortable with uncertainty prefers clean and distinct choices. How might these different groups respond to rules and restrictions?
  For example, Germany scores high on the IDV index; therefore, it typically avoids uncertainty. This means that products designed for Germany must give users a rational sequence of decisions to make. Whereas, countries that are lower on the scale can allow users to find their way, or explore through an interface.
  How to manage cross-cultural workflow

When I was hired by the Russian client I mentioned earlier, the product they wished to create was relatively straightforward.
  They were in need of an app that could notify contacts when a user came into personal danger.
  If a user felt that they were being followed, or approached by a dangerous individual, they open the app, press the main button, and if after 10 seconds a pin was not entered, the contacts – or bodyguards – would be notified.
  Fortunately, the client provided wireframes and user flows so my job was entirely focused on UI and visual design.
  Alphabets

Immediately, I was stunned by the Russian alphabet the client provided in the user flow.
  I simply didn’t have a Cyrillic keyboard, and I thought I might have to copy and paste from Google Translate if the necessary text wasn’t already in the user flows.
123下一页
友荐云推荐

上一篇:Logojoy turns design into an AI-powered, iterative process
下一篇:交互设计超强案例:详细分析平台规范与设计模式
酷辣虫提示酷辣虫禁止发表任何与中华人民共和国法律有抵触的内容!所有内容由用户发布,并不代表酷辣虫的观点,酷辣虫无法对用户发布内容真实性提供任何的保证,请自行验证并承担风险与后果。如您有版权、违规等问题,请通过"联系我们"或"违规举报"告知我们处理。

契珂瑙 发表于 昨天 09:32
在哪里跌倒就在哪里躺下!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

自我介绍 发表于 昨天 10:03
读书读到抽筋处,文思方能如尿崩!  
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

luoxc 发表于 昨天 16:33
一个人快活,两个人生活,三个人就是你死我活。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

英杰 发表于 昨天 20:43
无论是不是沙发都得回复下
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

*滑动验证:
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

我要投稿

推荐阅读

扫码访问 @iTTTTT瑞翔 的微博
回页顶回复上一篇下一篇回列表手机版
手机版/CoLaBug.com ( 粤ICP备05003221号 | 文网文[2010]257号 )|网站地图 酷辣虫

© 2001-2016 Comsenz Inc. Design: Dean. DiscuzFans.

返回顶部 返回列表