您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看，没有帐号？立即注册
3 reasons to use Swift for iOS/OS X app development
Common Swift (bird) image via Shutterstock
Everyone who’s planning on building iOS apps has to face some difficulties when choosing a programming language. As obvious as it may be, a suitable language is an important step that can alter the fate of the entire project. So let’s try and answer this question together: why Swift?
We are well aware that this language is very new and it’s not even mature yet. However, that is the beauty of it. There are lots of new details to review, to discover its full potential before others have even started learning it. Exploring the specifics of Swift and learning how to put it to good use can help you transform your project into a success story.
So let’s see why Swift is different.
Forget what you heard about Swift
To begin with, it would be fair to notice that Swift for iOS app development is a rather new programming language. The majority of Apple platforms are built via Objective-C and just a year or two ago it was the most popular language to learn for developers. Everything new and too progressive for its time always has a rough welcome. Therefore, Swift also had to have its breakthrough into programmers’ hearts and laptops in the long run. And even this far, it might be not taken seriously into consideration because of some myths going around.
SEE ALSO: Swift is inches away from becoming the next major programming language
So let’s debunk some of the most well-known misconceptions:
Further in the article, we will try to dispel those misconceptions and show the benefits of mastering Swift. So let’s expose those negative comments and explain the advantages and disadvantages of Swift. Together we can build a strong understanding of why the future of app developing favors Swift.
- First, it is a widely spread opinion that “Swift is the hardest iOS app programming language to learn, comparing to the already existing ones”;
- Second, “Swift is less mature, which means Swift performance is less powerful and poorly developed”;
- Third, “since it is younger than the most, it has to be less popular and have a smaller community”.
Reasons to master Swift
Reason # 1. It’s an innovative approach.
The fact that Swift is quite a new language is the main reason to start learning it right now. Swift was designed to make app development more interactive and approachable. This means that pretty soon app developing will be more accessible for those who are building their own applications. Therefore, it will be more widely used. It can be considered the coding language of the future. So, our advice for you – go with the principle: the newer – the better! Be the one who stepped into the future in the front row.
Of course, just as any other innovation, Swift demands some adjustments and learning. It is good to use something well-known, but it is way better to be the one who’s engaged in the process of improvements and innovations.
Reason # 2. You’ll be exploring latest research .
As for the rest of the misleading complaints, it will be fair to notice that modern concept does not mean less mature. Swift is based on combined experience of the previous programming languages, which actually makes the developing process more safe and Swift syntax more precise. It combines all the strong features from the others and yet keeps its own originality by being interactive and expressive. Moreover, such background made the entire experience of using this language quite fun and easy.
SEE ALSO: Key takeaways about Swift 3 and what to hope for from Swift 4
Reason # 3. You’ll get the chance to discover its potential .
An argument about limited popularity is so far correct. However, there is a tendency of switching from Objective-C to Swift among major projects platforms and it’s growing. It shows that Swift is gaining momentum among big IT companies as well as among regular developers. Moreover, any average programmer is now capable of using Swift code for building simple iPhone applications.
This is why you should give Swift a try
Obviously, there is no extreme need to migrate from one iOS coding language to another. On the other hand, if you are just planning to create a new application for OS X or iOS projects, we would definitely recommend Swift.
Apple developers actually claim that Swift “is the first industrial-quality systems programming language that is as expressive and enjoyable as a scripting language.” It is worth mentioning that Swift’s features supplement the description.
Progress never stops. In order to be always ahead of the game, we should use all the opportunities we get.
- Simple code. One the most significant improvements is the diminished length of the code required for building all sorts of applications. It means the code is easier to learn and writing code takes almost half the time. Also, fun fact – now you can use emojis in your code.
- Fast and powerful. Swift syntax is created to help correct some typical types of mistakes. It’s able to eliminate unsafe codes. Being less prone to mistakes makes the work safer, faster and way more user-friendly. A nice bonus is that Swift memory is managed automatically.
- Standard syntax. Swift syntax is concise and simple. It doesn’t mean that it is less expressive. However, it guarantees productivity.
- Room for improvement. Since the system is pretty new, there are still lots of opportunities for innovation. Swift has its way to surprise us. Its innovators have strong intentions to turn Swift into a great success, but they are still working on the new features.
- Open source . A decision to transfer Swift into an open source model gained a huge success and actually drew the attention of “outside” contributors.
Swift has been created to be something way more grand than its predecessors. Furthermore, since it’s still a work in progress, it makes even more sense to choose Swift, as its unexplored potential can be the exact reason why your application will be successful.
上一篇：Summarizing Garbage Collection
下一篇：Software Defined Networking (SDN) with OpenStack: The book