Welcome to the 7th update of my $10K Challenge. If this is your first time reading, check out what this challenge is all abouthere.
Below are the things that happened since the last update (August 2016):
Hit 150,000+ visits a month.
Hit $5,000+ in revenue.
Acquired 66 new backlinks.
Haven’t got much traction with building an email list.
Website Stats as of August 1st, 2016
I usedAhrefs (paid) and Open Site Explorer (free) to help measure the effectiveness of my promotional efforts by tracking these metrics:
Domain Rating: 45 (+3)
Referring Domains: 172 (+66)
Organic Keywords: 37,239 (+7,000)
With all the new links and contents that we’ve produced, traffic kept growing. We’ve reached a new milestone of 156,804 visits in September.
Traffic last 3 months:
Pages / Session
Traffic growth rate
New article published
Organic Keywords (US)
Good news! TYS finally had a breakthrough and made $5,259.53 in September after being stuck at $3,000 monthly for 7 months straight while traffic have tripled since February!
Earnings last 3 months:
Amazon Affiliate Commission
Shipped Items Revenue
Earning per Click (EPC)
Average Order Size
Amazon Affiliate % Total Revenue
New Affiliate Offer Commission
New Affiliate Offer % Total Revenue
6% Gross Monthly Revenue
Month-to-Month Revenue growth rate
60% Gross 2016 Revenue
$28,862.75 Here’s what we did to achieve that significant growth:
Remove Geni.us - If you don’t know yet, Geni.us is a platform that allows you to generate links that can automatically localize based on your visitor’s location. This enables you to earn from Amazon stores in other countries as well.
They also have a WordPress plugin which makes implementation process go very smoothly.
In theory, the service would help you make more money from your current traffic. Unfortunately, in my case, I would have potentially lost a few thousand dollars by having Geni.us’ WordPress plugin installed on my sites for 7 months.
The short story is that towards the end of August I discovered that a lot of my affiliate links were not working properly. Visitors were being sent to Amazon with Geni.us’ default tracking tag instead of my own tracking IDs.
That means Geni.us’ Amazon associate account was getting credited with sales that were supposed to be mine.
After investigating, I figured that there was a bug between Thrive Content Builder and Geni.us’ plugin that messed up the links and caused the problem.
I immediately disabled Geni.us plugin and had to manually go through every article to fix my affiliate links.
It was a long and boring Sunday.
But I’m glad I did that because over the next few days I immediately saw a significant increase in clicks and earnings.
So, if you’re using Geni.us with Thrive Content Builder, you should definitely check to make sure your links are working properly.
Even if you’re not using Thrive Content Builder, it’s still a good idea to test. You can switch Geni.us off for a week to see if there’s any difference. I actually sensed that something weird or shady was going on with their service so I checked.
I did some tests using VPNs and noticed that sometimes the links were not localized properly.
I’m not really sure the real reasons and I need more data before I can make any claim. But, you should definitely test and see for yourself.
If you do find something, please share with me via email or comments.
Added affiliate links to product subheadings - I’ve run some heatmap tests over the last few months and it was clear that subheadings with product names got quite a bit of clicks.
Here’s what I mean: