营销策划

今日:110| 主题:37584
收藏本版 (15)
网络、PC端、移动端的营销、策划实战和资讯。

[其他] Most SEOs Are No Better than a Coin-Flip at Predicting Which Page Will Rank Bett

[复制链接]
孤独患者 发表于 2016-10-3 15:49:37
309 19

立即注册CoLaBug.com会员,免费获得投稿人的专业资料,享用更多功能,玩转个人品牌!

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
We want to be able to answer questions about why one page outranks another.

“What would we have to do to outrank that site?”
   “Why is our competitor outranking us on this search?”
  These kind of questions — from bosses, from clients, and from prospective clients — are a standard part of day-to-day life for many SEOs. I know I’ve been asked both in the last week.
  It’s relatively easy to figure out ways that a page can be made more relevant and compelling for a given search, and it’s straightforward to think of ways the page or site could be more authoritative (even if it’s less straight-forward to get it done). But will those changes or that extra link cause an actual reordering of a specific ranking? That’s a very hard question to answer with a high degree of certainty.
  When we asked a few hundred people to pick which of two pages would rank better for a range of keywords, the average accuracy on UK SERPs was 46%. That’s worse than you’d get if you just flipped a coin! This chart shows the performance by keyword. It’s pretty abysmal:

Most SEOs Are No Better than a Coin-Flip at Predicting Which Page Will Rank Bett-1 (question,relevant,specific,standard,another)

It’s getting harder to unpick all the ranking factors

I’ve participated in each iteration of Moz’s ranking factors survey since its inception in 2009. At one of our recent conferences (the last time I was in San Diego for SearchLove ) I talked about how I used to enjoy it and feel like I could add real value by taking the survey, but how that's changed over the years as the complexity has increased.
  While I remain confident when building strategies to increase overall organic visibility, traffic, and revenue, I’m less sure than ever which individual ranking factors will outweigh which others in a specific case.
  The strategic approach looks at whole sites and groups of keywords

My approach is generally to zoom out and build business cases on assumptions about portfolios of rankings, but it’s been on my mind recently as I think about the ways machine learning should make Google rankings ever more of a black box, and cause the ranking factors to vary more and more between niches.
  In general, "why does this page rank?" is the same as "which of these two pages will rank better?"
   I've been teaching myself about deep neural networks using TensorFlow and Keras — an area I’m pretty sure I’d have ended up studying and working in if I’d gone to college 5 years later. As I did so, I started thinking about how you would model a SERP (which is a set of high-dimensional non-linear relationships). I realized that the litmus test of understanding ranking factors — and thus being able to answer “why does that page outrank us?” — boils down to being able to answer a simpler question:
  Given two pages, can you figure out which one will outrank the other for a given query?

If you can answer that in the general case, then you know why one page outranks another, and vice-versa.
  It turns out that people are terrible at answering this question.

I thought that answering this with greater accuracy than a coin flip was going to be a pretty low bar. As you saw from the sneak peak of my results above, that turned out not to be the case. Reckon you can do better? Skip ahead to take the test and find out.
  (In fact, if you could find a way to test this effectively, I wonder if it would make a good qualifying question for the next moz ranking factors survey. Should you only listen only to the opinion of those experts who are capable of answering with reasonable accuracy? Note that my test that follows isn’t at all rigorous because you can cheat by Googling the keywords — it’s just for entertainment purposes).
  Take the test and see how well you can answer

With my curiosity piqued, I put together a simple test, thinking it would be interesting to see how good expert SEOs actually are at this, as well as to see how well laypeople do.
   I’ve included a bit more about the methodology and some early results below, but if you'd like to skip ahead and test yourself you can go ahead here .
  Note that to simplify the adversarial side, I’m going to let you rely on all of Google’s spam filtering — you can trust that every URL ranks in the top 10 for its example keyword — so you're choosing an ordering of two pages that do rank for the query rather than two pages from potentially any domain on the Internet.
  I haven’t designed this to be uncheatable — you can obviously cheat by Googling the keywords — but as my old teachers used to say: "If you do, you’ll only be cheating yourself."
  Unfortunately, Google Forms seems to have removed the option to be emailed your own answers outside of an apps domain, so if you want to know how you did, note down your answers as you go along and compare them to the correct answers (which are linked from the final page of the test).
  You can try your hand with just one keyword or keep going, trying anywhere up to 10 keywords (each with a pair of pages to put in order). Note that you don’t need to do all of them; you can submit after any number.
  You can take the survey either for the US (google.com) or UK (google.co.uk). All results are considering only the "blue links" results — i.e. links to web pages — rather than universal search results / one-boxes etc.
   Take the test!
  What do the early responses show?

Before publishing this post, we sent it out to the @distilled and @moz networks. At the time of writing, almost 300 people have taken the test, and there are already some interesting results:
  It seems as though the US questions are slightly easier

The UK test appears to be a little harder (judging both by the accuracy of laypeople, and with a subjective eye). And while accuracy generally increases with experience in both the UK and the US, the vast majority of UK respondents performed worse than a coin flip:

Most SEOs Are No Better than a Coin-Flip at Predicting Which Page Will Rank Bett-2 (question,relevant,specific,standard,another)

It’s getting harder to unpick all the ranking factors

I’ve participated in each iteration of Moz’s ranking factors survey since its inception in 2009. At one of our recent conferences (the last time I was in San Diego for SearchLove ) I talked about how I used to enjoy it and feel like I could add real value by taking the survey, but how that's changed over the years as the complexity has increased.
  While I remain confident when building strategies to increase overall organic visibility, traffic, and revenue, I’m less sure than ever which individual ranking factors will outweigh which others in a specific case.
  The strategic approach looks at whole sites and groups of keywords

My approach is generally to zoom out and build business cases on assumptions about portfolios of rankings, but it’s been on my mind recently as I think about the ways machine learning should make Google rankings ever more of a black box, and cause the ranking factors to vary more and more between niches.
  In general, "why does this page rank?" is the same as "which of these two pages will rank better?"
   I've been teaching myself about deep neural networks using TensorFlow and Keras — an area I’m pretty sure I’d have ended up studying and working in if I’d gone to college 5 years later. As I did so, I started thinking about how you would model a SERP (which is a set of high-dimensional non-linear relationships). I realized that the litmus test of understanding ranking factors — and thus being able to answer “why does that page outrank us?” — boils down to being able to answer a simpler question:
  Given two pages, can you figure out which one will outrank the other for a given query?

If you can answer that in the general case, then you know why one page outranks another, and vice-versa.
  It turns out that people are terrible at answering this question.

I thought that answering this with greater accuracy than a coin flip was going to be a pretty low bar. As you saw from the sneak peak of my results above, that turned out not to be the case. Reckon you can do better? Skip ahead to take the test and find out.
  (In fact, if you could find a way to test this effectively, I wonder if it would make a good qualifying question for the next moz ranking factors survey. Should you only listen only to the opinion of those experts who are capable of answering with reasonable accuracy? Note that my test that follows isn’t at all rigorous because you can cheat by Googling the keywords — it’s just for entertainment purposes).
  Take the test and see how well you can answer

With my curiosity piqued, I put together a simple test, thinking it would be interesting to see how good expert SEOs actually are at this, as well as to see how well laypeople do.
   I’ve included a bit more about the methodology and some early results below, but if you'd like to skip ahead and test yourself you can go ahead here .
  Note that to simplify the adversarial side, I’m going to let you rely on all of Google’s spam filtering — you can trust that every URL ranks in the top 10 for its example keyword — so you're choosing an ordering of two pages that do rank for the query rather than two pages from potentially any domain on the Internet.
  I haven’t designed this to be uncheatable — you can obviously cheat by Googling the keywords — but as my old teachers used to say: "If you do, you’ll only be cheating yourself."
  Unfortunately, Google Forms seems to have removed the option to be emailed your own answers outside of an apps domain, so if you want to know how you did, note down your answers as you go along and compare them to the correct answers (which are linked from the final page of the test).
  You can try your hand with just one keyword or keep going, trying anywhere up to 10 keywords (each with a pair of pages to put in order). Note that you don’t need to do all of them; you can submit after any number.
  You can take the survey either for the US (google.com) or UK (google.co.uk). All results are considering only the "blue links" results — i.e. links to web pages — rather than universal search results / one-boxes etc.
   Take the test!
  What do the early responses show?

Before publishing this post, we sent it out to the @distilled and @moz networks. At the time of writing, almost 300 people have taken the test, and there are already some interesting results:
  It seems as though the US questions are slightly easier

The UK test appears to be a little harder (judging both by the accuracy of laypeople, and with a subjective eye). And while accuracy generally increases with experience in both the UK and the US, the vast majority of UK respondents performed worse than a coin flip:

Most SEOs Are No Better than a Coin-Flip at Predicting Which Page Will Rank Bett-3 (question,relevant,specific,standard,another)

Some easy questions might skew the data in the US

Digging into the data, there are a few of the US questions that are absolute no-brainers (e.g. there's a question about the keyword [mortgage calculator] in the US that 84% of respondents get right regardless of their experience). In comparison, the easiest one in the UK was also a mortgage-related query ([mortgage comparisons]) but only 2/3 of people got that right (67%).
  Compare the UK results by keyword...

Most SEOs Are No Better than a Coin-Flip at Predicting Which Page Will Rank Bett-4 (question,relevant,specific,standard,another)

...To the same chart for the US keywords:
123下一页
更多图片 小图 大图
组图打开中,请稍候......
友荐云推荐

上一篇:Turning social interactions into transactions (VB Live)
下一篇:One Foolproof money making blogging activity!
酷辣虫提示酷辣虫禁止发表任何与中华人民共和国法律有抵触的内容!所有内容由用户发布,并不代表酷辣虫的观点,酷辣虫无法对用户发布内容真实性提供任何的保证,请自行验证并承担风险与后果。如您有版权、违规等问题,请通过"联系我们"或"违规举报"告知我们处理。

抱着孤单睡 发表于 2016-10-3 17:04:56
孤独患者日后必成大器!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

嫣然月 发表于 2016-10-3 17:05:40
拿分 路过
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

明明123 发表于 2016-10-3 17:06:18
小白一个 顶一下
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

wangvan 发表于 2016-10-3 17:17:09
你身材很好,好的连孙悟空看见你,都会给你三棍子了。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

taoshi8841 发表于 2016-10-3 17:19:13
永远不要给背叛过自己的朋友第二次背叛的机会。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

kaaidemmdess 发表于 2016-10-3 17:19:17
读书读到抽筋处,文思方能如尿崩!  
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

xrwz91zp7a 发表于 2016-10-3 17:19:29
楼主想办法,让咱的帖子火起来吧。。。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

fennudett520 发表于 2016-10-3 17:19:35
楼主,你说,你几个意思?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

黄云涛 发表于 2016-10-3 17:20:18
路过的帮顶
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

*滑动验证:
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

我要投稿

推荐阅读

扫码访问 @iTTTTT瑞翔 的微博
回页顶回复上一篇下一篇回列表手机版
手机版/CoLaBug.com ( 粤ICP备05003221号 | 文网文[2010]257号 )|网站地图 酷辣虫

© 2001-2016 Comsenz Inc. Design: Dean. DiscuzFans.

返回顶部 返回列表