Much is still being talked about the Meltdown/Spectre CPU security vulnerabilities. There’s an interesting Twitter thread showing performance impact on Kafka brokers. Jaime Crespo also writes about how it affects MariaDB Server 10.1.30 – Finding out the MySQL performance regression due to kernel mitigation for Meltdown CPU vulnerability . It’s worth checking out the thread for PostgreSQL too.
- MariaDB 10.2 now Supported on Amazon RDS – the latest release with window functions, recursive CTEs, ed25519 authentication and more. Note that InnoDB is the default InnoDB, not Percona XtraDB now. Take note of what parameters are supported
- Percona Server for MySQL 5.7.20-19 – this is a big deal as the MyRocks Storage Engine has reached General Availability status.
- sqlmap – “sqlmap is an open source penetration testing tool that automates the process of detecting and exploiting SQL injection flaws and taking over of database servers.” Do you use it?
- NetSPI SQL Injection Wiki – yet another useful resource
- Database sharding explained in plain English
- FOSDEM 2018 – Brussels, Belgium – February 3-4 2018
- SCALE16x – Pasadena, California, USA – March 8-11 2018